Tuesday, May 27

(August 27, 1541)
Just four days ago, my faithful ship, La Grande Hermine, pulled into these icy shores. I can now pursue my search for the grand riches of Sanguenay. My crew first glimpsed the horizon early in the morning, and I was ecstatic to learn that we had reached the New World. When we had disembarked onto the shore, we were met by several Stadacona. I could not avoid lying to them: I relayed that their beloved leader Donacona had perished in France, but with the other captives were well. In fact, only one original captive remains. I left the last, a young girl, back in France. I suspect Agona did not believe my story. I now think it would be best to move our camp, for I can tell there is tension between us. This is a dilemma, for I need their guidance if I am to claim the gold and diamonds of this place. My scouts tell me of an area around 9 miles from here, at the mouth of the Riviere de Cap-Rouge.
That cursed Jean Francois del la Roque! His incompetence has left me with little weapons and ammunition to defend myself if the Iroquois attack! He has not yet arrived- I regret that I could not lead this expedition! I will send two boats back to France and alert the king of Roverval’s absence. My logbook notes that the weather was fair crossing the Atlantic; what is taking him so long?

No comments: