Tuesday, May 27


(July 1, 1542)
Winter was once again a source of agony and uncertainty for the French cause. I had longed to return to Europe; far from these savages. Last winter, I lost thirty-five of my best men to the natives. And recently I and seventy men set out to explore more of the Sanguenay fjord. The thirty men left behind at the settlement were lucky- one our boats disappeared! I suspect foul play. In addition, fifty of our men died during this winter from the dreaded scurvy and starvation. Normally with the natives help we can avoid scurvy. But without the tea recipe made from the bark of evergreen trees, we are helpless. Mutiny attempts are high in the colony and I can barely stand to remain there.
During the spring, the three tall ships of Roberval finally arrived in Newfoundland. He had expressed a desire to continue our exploration. He did not seem to listen when I told him I had found treasure that would make France rich! He ordered me to return to St. Lawrence, but I refused, and stole away with my ships at night. The fast current of the Atlantic shall bring me swiftly to France! I know that the Commission will deem me correct in my decision.

No comments: