Tuesday, May 27

July 16, 1534
The journey from St. Malo to Newfoundland took nearly two weeks. My crew and I remained in Newfoundland for ten days to mend and dress the boats. The fast ocean passage was rough on the sails, spars, and tackle. Last night my men and I feasted on polar bears. Their flesh was as good and delicate to eat as that of a two-year-old steer. We all sat around and enjoyed a delicious meal we could not have had back in France.
Since leaving Newfoundland we have been exploring the icy waters. While sailing up to the Chaleur Bay my men and I were greeted by Micmac Indians in canoes. As we approached we saw that they were holding up furs on sticks. At first I did not understand this strange gesture, but soon I realized that they wanted to trade. We swapped kettles and knives for their beaver skins. Later, we ventured into the Grande Riviere and encountered members of the Stadacona tribe, who had traveled down the river to retrieve fish for their evening meal. Initially my men and I got along well with the tribe members, but we got in a dispute after I erected a cross on the land that the tribe considered as their own. Before leaving the land and returning home, I kidnapped Taignoagny and Domagaya, the two sons of the Stadaconan’s leader, Donnacona. It is not usually my nature to hold captives, but they will serve as excellent interpreters on my next voyage.

No comments: